Complaints and Grievances Policy

Ghilgai welcomes feedback from all members of the school community and takes all concerns and complaints seriously.

The policy is shown below, or click HERE to view, print or download the policy in PDF format.

Complaints and Grievances

Our policy

Ghilgai welcomes feedback from all members of the school community and takes all concerns and complaints seriously.

  • A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about our services or our operations.
  • Anyone may make a complaint – students/staff/parents/guardians/teachers/volunteers/contractors.
  • Ghilgai will deal with all complaints in a respectful, efficient, timely way.
  • Complaints are recorded in the School Complaints Log.
  • The School makes a regular analysis of all complaints in order that we may address deficiencies and make changes as needed for the betterment of our school.
  • All involved in making the complaint will receive procedural fairness.
  • The complainant will not be personally identifiable unless this is essential to resolve the issue.  Should this be the case the complainant will be notified and his/her agreement sought.
  • All personal information considered or recorded will respect the privacy of the individual involved unless there is a risk to someone’s safety.
  • This information is confidential and will not be passed on to anyone without the individual’s permission (legal responsibilities excluded)
  • The School will seek external professional advice as required.
  • The school will employ an external mediator/facilitator to assist in conflict resolution if required.
  • Counselling may be offered to key persons involved.

Is it a concern or a complaint? 

  1. If you have a concern you may be able to resolve it directly via conversation with the teacher involved.  Many concerns are seeded by misunderstanding/incomplete understanding.  Arrange an appointment with the teacher – don’t just bowl up unexpectedly.
  • If this avenue is inappropriate you may wish to have a helping conversation with the Education Coordinator who may facilitate conversation with the staff member involved and so resolve the matter informally.
  • If it is not appropriate, then you should make a formal complaint.
  • You should make a formal complaint if you have a grievance that you are unable to resolve in an informal way.

How to make a formal complaint

All complaints should be made in writing so that they can be dealt with formally.

  1. Email – – address your complaint to the Education Coordinator and/or the College of Teachers (CoT)
  • Letter – addressed to the CoT, handed in at reception or placed in school letterbox by the gate.

Our Response Pathway

  1. Time frame
  • Complaints will be prioritised – we aim to reach a resolution for all complaints within 30 days.
  • If the complaint is serious
  • it concerns matters of safety and wellbeing
  • duty of care is breached

the College of Teachers will act immediately to verify and rectify the matter.

  • You will receive written acknowledgement within 24hrs. You should have a response with 7 days.
  • Other complaints will be acknowledged in writing with 48hrs and you will be given an expected response date.
  • Consideration Phase
  • In order to clarify aspects of your complaint the Education Coordinator and/or a College member may request a conversation with you. You are welcome to bring a support person to any meetings.
  • The Education Coordinator with a College member will conduct an initial assessment and investigation and make a determination that is presented at a meeting of the CoT.  The CoT meets fortnightly but if the complaint is serious, an extraordinary meeting is called to consider the determination and plan steps forward.
  • As part of the investigation the College may call upon the advice of an external professional.
  • Outcomes
  • When the CoT has resolved the matter you will be advised of the outcome in writing and the matter will be closed if you accept this outcome.

If it is not acceptable you may ask the CoT for the matter to be reconsidered.

  • The CoT will acknowledge your request and may ask you to substantiate your continuing dissatisfaction in writing.  You will be given a response date.
  • If the CoT is asked to reconsider a complaint
  • the Directors are notified of the situation and may assist the CoT.
  • an external adviser may be employed to assist the CoT.
  • an external mediator may be employed and asked to facilitate the meetings.
  • When the CoT has resolved the matter you will receive a written response.
  • External pathways for resolution of a complaint

If you feel the matter is still unresolved then you may choose to seek external alternatives.

  • The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority receives formal complaints re. Independent School matters.  They investigate the complaint and if required work with the Schools to better their processes.
  • The Victorian Institute of Teaching is concerned with the professional integrity of Teachers.